If you are not vegan, please don’t let that word scare you from trying this recipe! It is fabulous for all eaters. I’ve also included non-vegan alternatives.
Ever since we’ve had children I’ve made breakfast for supper one night a week. For the past few months, about ninety percent of the time, our family has been eating a whole foods plant based diet. Pancakes are so easily adapted to plant based recipes and they are one hundred percent fabulous!
Vegan Whole Grain Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (can also use oat or buckwheat flour or plain old white flour)
- 1 Tablespoon Sucanat or Raw Sugar (of course you can use regular sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (almond/coconut) or just plain dairy milk for non-vegan
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- Chocolate chips for the children (of all ages.)
Mix all dry ingredients together and add the non-dairy milk and applesauce. Stir until incorporated, but not too much.
Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet to medium-high heat. Drop 1/3 cup of batter into preheated pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the top and middle. (If you are adding chocolate chips, now is the time to sprinkle a few on the pancake before flipping.) Flip and cook for a few more minutes on the other side.
Of course you can used dairy whipped cream, but the whipped coconut cream was delish and worth it!
Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons sweetener (maple syrup/honey/raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chill the can of coconut in the fridge overnight. An hour before whipping, chill a bowl in the freezer.
Open can and pour off coconut water (save water for smoothies and other yummies)
Scoop the solid coconut into the chilled bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sweetener and vanilla. Beat until mixed through.
Layer a pancake on a plate. Drizzle with pure maple syrup. Spread a dollop of whipped coconut cream on top and add fresh sliced strawberries. Repeat layer if desired.